Re: New dev build for Windows

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New dev build for Windows
Date: 2007-06-12 21:35:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Hi Dave!

I am on to it. :)

I was instructed to uninstall the previous snapshot prior to installing
this one. Other than that installation went off without a hitch.
A quick run over the issues I have reported recently:

As you requested it, I've had a look on the Help options. PostgreSQL,
EnterpriseDB and Slony Help open help for the according recent versions
as a new tabs in my Firefox just fine. The other options on the Help
menu work, too. I don't use local help files, they tend to be outdated.
The "FAQ" page seems a bit outdated, too:
"Later versions of pgAdmin III (1.0.1 and up) will use ..."
That's almost news from a previous millennium. :p

Help on File->Options->General is outdated. Screen shots and text refer
to a previous version. Some settings are gone, others have been added.

Some of the chapters in the pgAdmin help, like "bug report", display
pages from the web inside the help tool. I wonder what rendering engine
is used for that. Probably IE? It doesn't tell. My policy is to avoid IE
where possible. (One can hardly get rid of it on Windows but the switch
to Linux takes time ..) Wouldn't it be ironic if a fine piece of free
software was to force the IE upon me once again? Generally, I prefer web
pages to be displayed in the browser - like Help ->FAQ does. That's more
of an opinion than a bug report, though.

Regards
Erwin