Re: How much ram is too much

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How much ram is too much
Date: 2007-06-08 19:41:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dave Cramer wrote:
> It's an IBM x3850 using linux redhat 4.0

I had to look that up, web site says it is a 4-processor, dual-core (so
8 cores) Intel Xeon system. It also says "Up to 64GB DDR II ECC
memory", so are you sure you can even get 128 GB RAM?

If you could, I'd expect diminishing returns from the Xeon northbridge
memory access. If you are willing to spend that kind of money on
memory, you'd be better off with Opteron or Sparc.

--
Guy Rouillier