Re: Weird 8.2.4 performance

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Kurt Overberg <kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird 8.2.4 performance
Date: 2007-06-07 09:23:19
Lists: pgsql-performance
Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> 8.2 is deciding to use a bitmap index scan on taskid_taskinstance_key,
> which seems to be slower (!) than a plain old index scan that 8.0 is
> using. A dirty work around is to disable bitmap scans via:

I'm having difficulty figuring out why it's doing this at all. There's
only one index involved, and it's over the primary-key to boot!

An EXPLAIN ANALYSE with enable_bitmapscan off should say why PG thinks
the costs are cheaper than they actually are.

PS - well worded question Kurt. All the relevant information neatly laid
out, explain analyse on both platforms - you should be charging to let
people help ;-)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd