password auth woes on sparc64/FreeBSD

From: Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade(at)synergetica(dot)dn(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: password auth woes on sparc64/FreeBSD
Date: 2007-06-05 16:16:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

It seems to me that auth on the local interface(?) is broken somehow on
sparc64.

[data/pg_hba.conf]
local postgres,template1 all trust

local postgres,template1 all md5
host postgres,template1 all 0.0.0.0/0 md5
host postgres,template1 all ::/0 md5
[--]

Well, what I really want to do is to remove the trust line from config.
But that way i need a .pgpass file so the server can start/control
itself without asking me for password. And if i want .pgpass file i need
some auth.

[session transcript/same machine]
> psql -U pgsql postgres

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

postgres=# alter role pgsql password 'somepass';
ALTER ROLE
postgres=# \q
> psql -h localhost -U pgsql postgres
Password for user pgsql:
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "pgsql"
[--]

It fails for any user and any password.

[session transcript/other machine]
> psql -h blade -U pgsql postgres
Password for user pgsql:

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

postgres=#
[--]

But I can log from another machine flawlessly...

> uname -a
FreeBSD blade.lan 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #13: Tue Jun 5 17:06:57
EEST 2007 arcade(at)blade(dot)lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BLADE sparc64

PS: Can assist in debugging if someone would point me what and how.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow!