Re: BUG #13818: PostgreSQL crashes after cronjob runs as "postgres"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ryan(at)runscope(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13818: PostgreSQL crashes after cronjob runs as "postgres"
Date: 2015-12-15 22:16:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ryan(at)runscope(dot)com writes:
> We are running PostgreSQL 9.4.5 on CentOS 7, uising the RPM from
> postgresql.org. We perform automatic OS updates, so our server was just
> upgraded from CentOS 7.1 to CentOS 7.2. Since the upgrade we've been seeing
> PostgreSQL crash after a cronjob is run as the "postgres" user.

> Here's the syslog output from /var/log/messages when the cronjob runs:
> Dec 14 18:24:01 prod118 postgres[52611]: [2584-1] PANIC:
> semop(id=57311261) failed: Invalid argument

That seems to mean that something has decided to remove Postgres' SysV
semaphores --- the only plausible reason for EINVAL from semop() is that
the semaphore set no longer exists. Now, Postgres itself certainly did
not do that.

I would bet that what you are looking at is a kernel or systemd bug
associated with this "slice" feature. Perhaps it's miscategorizing
Postgres' existing semaphores as belonging to the new slice and then
destroying them when it destroys the slice.