recovery_target_xid & crashes on the master

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: recovery_target_xid & crashes on the master
Date: 2007-06-04 16:14:45
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

I'm currently working on splitting StartupXLog into smaller
parts, because I need to reuse some of the parts for concurrent
wal recovery (for my GSoC project)

The function recoveryStopsHere in xlog.c checks if we should
stop recovery due to the values of recovery_target_xid and
recovery_target_time. For recovery_target_xid, we stop if
we see a commit or abort record for the given xid.

Now I wonder what happens if an (admittely rather confused) DBA
uses an xid of a transaction that was aborted because of a
crash of the master as recovery_target_xid. The way I read the
code, postgres will just recover until it reaches the end of
the xlog in that case because neither an COMMIT nor an ABORT
for that xid exists in the WAL.

I'm not sure if this is worth fixing - it seems like a rather
contrived corner case - but I though I'd bring it up...

greetings, Florian Pflug