Re: Tsearch vs Snowball, or what's a source file?

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tsearch vs Snowball, or what's a source file?
Date: 2007-06-04 12:06:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> This makes no difference in terms of the ease of tracking their changes,
> of course, but it just feels better to me to be distributing "real"
> source code and not derived files.

1 Compiling from .sbl by original Snowball's makefile requires Perl and doesn't
work cleanly:
% gmake
cc -o snowball compiler/space.o compiler/tokeniser.o compiler/analyser.o
compiler/generator.o compiler/driver.o compiler/generator_java.o
gmake: *** No rule to make target `libstemmer/', needed by
`libstemmer/libstemmer.c'.  Stop.
I used tarball.

2 Snowball's compiling infrastructure doesn't support Windows target.

I agree with simplify support process but, IMHO, it's much simpler to do it with
C sources with pgsql's building infrastructure

And where should it be placed? src/snowball directory?

Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru