Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-04 10:14:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane napsal(a):

>> Well, I don't think rolling up the miscellaneous commands into a single
>> binary with behaviour dependent on arg[0] is a bad idea.
>
> I don't think that responds to Zdenek's complaint though. He's unhappy
> about polluting /usr/bin with commands like "createuser" --- which is
> not an unreasonable gripe. AFAICS it doesn't help if "createuser"
> is a link to a single executable rather than a file of its own.

Yes, It was one idea (after midnight :-) how to keep backward
compatibility for next few releases, but better solution is keep old
binaries for couple of release cycles.

> But in the light of backwards-compatibility requirements, I can't see us
> removing "createuser" from the distribution ... not in 8.4, nor several
> releases thereafter.

I agree, I only want to start discussion about new command which will
replace old binaries. Old binaries will be marked as obsolete and they
will be removed e.g. in 9.0. Until we do not have the new command we can
not start thinking about remove old one. I think we can have new command
ready for 8.4.

Zdenek