Re: syslogger line-end processing infelicity

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: syslogger line-end processing infelicity
Date: 2007-06-03 02:15:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> My second thought is that we should quite possibly abandon this
>> translation altogether - we know that our COPY code is quite happy with
>> either style of line ending, as long as the file is consistent, and also
>> many Windows programs will quite happily read files with Unix style line
>> endings (e.g. Wordpad, although not Notepad).
>>

> Agreed. We shouldn't touch the data. Every editor I know on windows
> *except* notepad can deal just fine with Unix line endings, and if
> you're logging your queries your logfile will be too large to work well
> in notepad anyway :-)

OK, so do we consider this a bug fix and backpatch it all the way to
8.0? Nobody's complained so far that I know of, and it's only damaged
logs, not damaged primary data. I'm inclined just to fix it in HEAD, and
release note the change in behaviour. It will matter more when we get
machine-readable logs.

cheers

andrew