Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-02 02:20:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:

>>> And we'll break a million applications that rely on the command names.
>
> Compatibility is possible solve with parsing arg[0]. If old name
> appears there command line will be parsed in old style... This
> functionally should keep there for some transition interval. Packager
> will be responsible if he create links for backward compatibility or not.

Well, I don't think rolling up the miscellaneous commands into a single
binary with behaviour dependent on arg[0] is a bad idea. I don't think
it's something to be looked at during feature freeze, though, especially
given our backlog. I think we'd need a good long lead time before we
removed the old names from our default install - at least one release
cycle, so it would be two years or more before this became any sort of
reality.

cheers

andrew