Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-01 22:20:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>>> And what about replace all "scripts" by one command e.g pg_cmd with
>>> following interface:
>>>
>>> pg_cmd create database <...>
>
>> And we'll break a million applications that rely on the command names.

Compatibility is possible solve with parsing arg[0]. If old name appears
there command line will be parsed in old style... This functionally
should keep there for some transition interval. Packager will be
responsible if he create links for backward compatibility or not.

> If you want that, it already exists: it's pronounced "psql -c ...".

No, it is not solution, because you still have binaries with strange
names (e.g. createuser) on the disk.

		Zdenek