Re: syslogger line-end processing infelicity

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: syslogger line-end processing infelicity
Date: 2007-06-01 22:07:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I have been looking at the syslogger code in connection with the CSV log
>> output proposal, and I'm quite concerned about the way it translates
>> every \n into \r\n for Windows output.
>> My second thought is that we should quite possibly abandon this
>> translation altogether
>>

> +1 on that.  The problem of ensuring atomic output remains though
> (see nearby complaints from George Pavlov and others).  It's bad enough
> in the existing logging context, but if we're hoping to make
> easily-machine-readable logs it's a "must fix".

Is that the one you suggested trying to fix by calling write() instead
of fprintf()? If so, I can't think of any good reason not to do that
anyway. (I assume we're not worried about the use of vfprintf(stderr,
...) in write_stderr().)

That really means we have two problems: log lines can be interleaved,
and rotation can cause a line to be split over two files. Triple ugh.

cheers

andrew