High-availability

From: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: High-availability
Date: 2007-06-01 21:56:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

After realizing that 'clustering' in the PgSQL docs means multiple
DBs behind one server, and NOT multple machines, I am back at square
one, feeling somewhat the fool. :P

Can anyone point me to docs/websites that discuss options on
replicating in (as close as possible to) realtime? Ideally with load
balancing while both/all servers are up, and failover/resyncing when a
member fails and is restored.

Is this even possible on PostgreSQL?

Being a quite small company, proprietary hardware and fancy software
licenses are not possible (ie: 'use oracle' won't help).

I've looked at slony, but it looks more like a way to push occasional
copies to slaves, and isn't meant to be real time. Am I wrong by chance?

Thanks for any help/tips/pointers!

Madi