Re: Linuxday 2007 visit in Berlin

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linuxday 2007 visit in Berlin
Date: 2007-06-01 21:34:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm back from my one-day trip to the Linuxday 2007, this year in
> Berlin. The German PG User Group was not present with a booth. My trip
> was (among other things) to decide, if we will have a booth next year.
>
> Judging last and this years visitors, the LD seems to be back in
> business, so i recommend to be present in 2008.

Wait until the LinuxTag is over. We don't have an overview jet.
One good day doesn't mean, that the other days are not only exhibiting
persons will have fun with exhibiting persons.
As you remember, we canceled LinuxTag because we have had to much
exhibitions for too little personal last year. Also there was nobody,
who has had time and wanted to pay the costs for the hotel and the
traveling to make a booth there this year.
Remember, I searched a guy, who can make a talk at the LinuxTag and I
didn't found one.
After the LinuxTag, we can collect all reports, we'll get and decide
this for the next year.
Ok?

> The different BSD groups want to organize some more presence and have
> asked, if we want to join them in something like "BSD use cases".
> Sounds interesting to me, also because the BSD groups did a great job
> with flyer sponsoring (they have some really good PostgreSQL flyers
> available) in the past and helped out from time to time, if we had to
> leave the booth for a short time. The BSD people have the same problem
> as the PostgreSQL people: it seems, that many companies are using
> PostgreSQL. But since the BSD license does not require to publish the
> source or even tell the customer, what OS/database is used, almost
> nobody knows about BSD/PostgreSQL. Why do we know? From time to time,
> this companies have a problem they cannot solve and then they are
> asking in a forum, on a mailinglist or even on IRC. But we should not
> wait until problems appear, if we want to know about the PostgreSQL
> usage in companies.

That sounds good on the one hand. But on the other hand it will looks
like PostgreSQL has married BSD. I think, we need new blood. At the
moment we have just too little personal and we all have less time to
finish much stuff.
I like the BSD guys, and on every exhibition, that we have had, I
worked most likely together with the BSD guys. Thanks to them, that they
have flyers, that we never finished and all other stuff that they made
to help us.

> GIS is a very hot theme: the freeGIS group was present, flightgear is
> using PG and GIS for storing map data. Intevation GmbH is providing GIS
> solutions and support for authorities.

I know, that the BSD guys are promoting PostgreSQL and I'll hope, that
the FlightGear guys will promote it too.

Thanks Andreas, that you visited the LinuxTag.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht,
52066 Aachen, Germany