Re: My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13))

From: Bastian Voigt <post(at)bastian-voigt(dot)de>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: My quick and dirty "solution" (Re: Performance Problem with Vacuum of bytea table (PG 8.0.13))
Date: 2007-05-25 14:11:45
Lists: pgsql-performance
Richard Huxton wrote:
> Could you check the output of vacuum verbose on that table and see how
> much work it's doing? I'd have thought the actual bytea data would be
> TOASTed away to a separate table for storage, leaving the vacuum with
> very little work to do.
I'm quite new to postgres (actually I just ported our running
application from MySQL...), so I don't know what toast means. But I
noticed that vacuum also tried to cleanup some "toast" relations or so.
This was what took so long.

> It might well be your actual problem is your disk I/O is constantly
> saturated and the vacuum just pushes it over the edge. In which case
> you'll either need more/better disks or to find a quiet time once a
> day to vacuum and just do so then.
Yes, that was definitely the case. But now everything runs smoothly
again, so I don't think I need to buy new disks.

Regards
Bastian

--
Bastian Voigt