Re: max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments

From: Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>
To: Y Sidhu <ysidhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_fsm_pages, shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments
Date: 2007-05-23 20:40:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
> increasing checkpoint_segments,which is also a disk thing. However, setting
> it to 25, and then increasing any of the other 2 variables, the postgresql
> daemon stops working. meaning it does not start upon reboot. When I bring

Sounds like you need to increase your shared memory limits.
Unfortunately this will require a reboot on FreeBSD :(

See:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/kernel-resources.html

Last time I checked PostgreSQL should be complaining about the shared
memory on startup rather than silently fail though. Check your logs
perhaps. Though I believe the RC script will cause the message to be
printed interactively at the console too, if you run it. (Assuming you
are using it installed from ports).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey(at)scode(dot)org
E-Mail: peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com Web: http://www.scode.org