Re: List to Father Christmas

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: List to Father Christmas
Date: 2007-05-22 14:02:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Laurent,

Laurent ROCHE a écrit :
> As
> I have managed to get error messages displaying correctly in PG-Admin

The correct spelling is pgAdmin :)

> (thanks to a correct configuration on the PG Server), I have switched
> to version 1.6.3, and I am sending this request feature list (I know
> it's not Christmas anymore, Easter is already gone passed ... but I
> always hope).
> [...]
> My feature request list:
>
> A/ Editor
>
> A-1/ Search & replace Cancel
> The "Cancel" button should be "Close": as hitting it does not cancel anything but just close the window.
> By
> the way in the French version, the second label "Remplacer par" is
> slightly too long, and overides the begining of the text field box.

I can take care of this :
- update the button's title ;
- grow the Replace button.
Dave, do you agree on this ?

> A-2/ History results
> Keeping the results of the query would be useful (as an option).
> In particular, for the next point !
>
> A-3/ History navigation
> Being able to navigate (previous/next) through the history of the requests typed in, would be really useful.
> That's a feature I used to have in a previous tool and I missed it a lot.

Can you tell us what tool you used ? I want to see the interface, so I
can better understand what you meant.

> B/ Table Editor
>
> B-1/ modify new column
> It's
> really annoying that after creating a new column but still in the table
> editor, it's not possible to modify it (modify button greyed out).
> The
> typical thing is creating a new column not null, and entering a lengthy
> comment on the column. Then when I click OK on the table editor it's
> complaining that there are null values on that column (of course, I
> have just created it) so I want to correct the column definition (to
> make it NULLable for example) ... BUT I CAN'T ! ! ! I have to delete
> the column and then to create it again ! :-(

There was some stuff done for this but it wasn't applied. One idea that
came afterward was to display the SQL that failed and let the user
change it. Unfortunately, I didn't find time to code it yet.

> [...]
> C-3/ Edit Data window title
> The
> title of the Edit Data windows is note very helpful: it's too long and
> the very meaningful information (the table name) is at the end. So when
> I browse through my many EditData windows opened (see previous remark
> ;-) !), all I can see is the name the application, the name of the
> server and that's it. When I say browsing through my EditData windows,
> I mean either cycling through applications with Alt+Tab or hovering the
> icons in the task bar. And the text I get is typically:
> pgAdmin III Edit Data - Server ServNm (servnm:5432) - my_database_name_
> when I would like to see
> pgAdmin III Edit - table_name - my_database_name_ - ServNm
> (Note:
> The names table_name, my_database_name_, ServNm are quite
> representative in length of what I used on the many projects I have
> worked on in more than 10 years)
> To me I don't see, the point of having the full Server ServNm (servnm:5432): ServNm is enough.
> May
> be a solution will be to have the name configurable via preferences ?
> (in the long term, but in short term changing the order would be nice)

And some would love to see the user name on it.

> C-4/ Edit Data in Table Tab
> It will be nice to have an extra tab in the table view (next to Properties, Statistics, Dependencies, Dependents): Edit Data.
> That would be what we get when doing View Data ==> View Top 100 rows on that table.
> That will be really quicker when looking up data on a few tables.
> If performance is an issue for some people, that could be an option to turn on or off.

Well performance is not really an issue. It can work as the dependencies
tab where datas are fetched when the user clicks on the corresponding tab.

> C-5/ new IDENTICAL Edit Data window
> Asking
> confirmation before opening a new IDENTICAL Edit Data window, would be
> nice (and offering to switch to the existing as an alternative).
> As
> the feature request C-4 is not already implemented, I often open many
> data windows to read the tables content. As I don't always remember
> what's already opened (age is not helping ;-) !), I open several times
> the same data windows !

+1

> Thanks for reading that far ! ;-)

:)

Thanks for your wish list, it's always interesting to know what users
are interested in.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.