Standard compliant DEFAULT clause

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Standard compliant DEFAULT clause
Date: 2007-05-18 19:50:57
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hi,

here's a fix for a _very_ longstanding bug in PostgreSQL.

According to SQL:2003 DEFAULT may only contain
certain functional expressions and constant literals.
Please, note the year of the standard. Or I know a better one,
PostgreSQL is not even SQL92 compliant in this regard, after 14 years!
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt

Please review and apply immediately.
Or not, it's just a bitter and late (because of my bitterness) response
to the rejection of my IDENTITY/GENERATED patches.
Where's the much praised standard behaviour on standard syntax?
So much for hypocrisy.

--
Zoltán Böszörményi

Attachment Content-Type Size
standard-compliant-default.patch text/x-patch 1.4 KB