Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-18 14:24:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 05:16:36PM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>
>> In this thread, I've seen several people say something to the effect
>> of, "why is PostgreSQL harder to use than MySQL?" IMHO, it's
>> difficult for us to answer that question because we're all experienced
>> with PostgreSQL and have somewhat biased opinions on what it takes to
>> administer and manage PostgreSQL compared with other systems.
>
> I agree, but we do seem to have some people who are saying "MySQL is
> easier to use with Cpanel or Plesk than is PostgreSQL." Exactly one
> of those people has taken me up on my request to outline _how_ it is
> easier. So far, it sounds to me like the main complaint is that
> pg_hba.conf is on the filesystem, which makes it hard to use. I
> agree with Josh Drake on that one: if that's the _real_ barrier, it
> shouldn't be that hard to hack up some module to make it work better.
> But I don't know whether that is in fact the problem, and nobody
> seems to be confirming or denying that that's the issue.

It can be. The problem with Cpanel or Plesk is they assume there is no
access to the filesystem by the end user. So it is certainly easier for
a Cpanel or Plesk to just use MySQL because MySQL allows all control
directly from the database and thus whatever Cpanel or Plesk uses to
connect to the database.

So enabling pg_hba.conf (and frankly postgresql.conf) to be managed from
the DB could be a boon. It would certainly make my life as a DBA easier.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/