Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)myyearbook(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drupal.org MySQL database issues
Date: 2007-05-17 21:54:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Gavin M. Roy wrote:
>> I think for one, mysql uses tables for all of its access control.
>> Coding plesk/cpanel to modify pg_hba.conf and rehup postgres would take
>> a bit more work, I would imagine.
>
> In a lot of environments, it'd certainly be impossible, at least until
> we make it possible to edit the config files remote... (oops, recap of
> endless amounts of discussions on letting pgadmin do that..)

Well more to the point. There really is zero reason why we can't have a
table representation of pg_hba_conf that is the pg_hba.conf file that
has triggers that right out the file.

>> Do we really want to pursue making PostgreSQL easier to admin for the
>> non-system admin? Cpanel and plesk and like tools are pretty far down
>> the list of important things to support or code for.
>
> If we want to make inroads into shared-hosting environments, it would
> certainly help...

It is not just shared hosting... dedicated hosting starts as little as
69.00 with Cpanel :)...

Note that I am not advocating making it easier for Cpanel. I am just
making a point that it is not limited to shared hosting.

I am however advocating that it is pretty dumb that our conf files are
*required* as a little text file on the filesystem and can not be
managed via the database.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/