pgAdmin Documentation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin Documentation
Date: 2007-05-16 11:15:06
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I've been thinking about trying to sort out the documentation included
in pgAdmin. As you know, we currently bundle both the PostgreSQL and
Slony docs with pgAdmin - what you may not know is that integrating
these together at build time is a real pain, not to mention that those
docs account for a major percentage of the number of files in our
subversion repository, tarballs and Unix builds, and are also a fair
percentage of the total size.

There are at least a couple of options:

1) Leave things as they are, maybe attempt to script some of the build
tasks.

2) Un-bundle the PostgreSQL and Slony docs. Allow the user to select a
directory, CHM file, or website for each of these (we already allow a
website to be selected for the PostgreSQL docs). This has the additional
advantage that the user can use the docs for their server/slony version,
rather than the ones we bundle.

If we were to do the latter, in the Windows Installer for PostgreSQL
(which we also need to consider, because it relies on our bundled docs),
we would just build the CHM files for each of the three packages,
without trying to merge them together.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave