Re: Testing v1.7: Options->Display

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing v1.7: Options->Display
Date: 2007-05-14 11:57:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>
> Testing  pgAdmin III 1.7.0, rev 6292:6293, client Win XP, host: Debian
> Sarge, PG 8.1.8.
>
> About the new tab in the options: "Display":
> I was missing some essential nodes in the object browser. Took me a
> while to find the new options to activate / deactivate nodes in the
> object browser. Neat. I likes it. :)

:-). Should make things a little less scary for the newbie, and
un-clutter the interface for those users the don't need to see everything.

> As a couple of nodes that used to be there are not any more per default,
> this might be worth a release note to prepare long time users where to
> find their objects.

Yeah, I'll try to remember to do that.

> The bad news: I had another crash when refreshing after I had switched
> on the "types" node. Maybe this one shares a common root with the
> crashes yesterday after switching the system objects on. This time I
> could not reproduce it at all. Similar situation though.

I can't reproduce it either :-(

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to move the option "View -> System Objects"
> from the menu to the new "Display" tab? You might mark it specially as
> it does more then the rest, but basically it fits there, doesn't it? It
> has become less important since we have the "Catalogs" node now.
> Also I wonder why you force to close all connections when switching
> "System Objects", while with the rest of the display options you just
> tell the user to refresh. I prefer the later. Is that feasable with the
> former, too?

Agreed - moving to the options form, and changing to not require a full
refresh.

Thanks, Dave