Re: Event Spam..???

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Event Spam..???
Date: 2007-05-11 20:09:27
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:

>>> Limiting the number of listings is not in our interests - we want to
>>>
>> It is, if the listings are not legitimate.
>>

> Well, yes - I think that's a given.
>

>>> show how much PostgreSQL is being used. Perhaps more importantly, how
>>> *widely*. We'd want to list courses running in every state, even if they
>>> were all the same company.
>>>
>>> Charging would almost certainly cause us problems given our financial
>>> status. I suspect we could 'solicit donations', but that would obviously
>>> not have the desired effect.
>>>
>> No it wouldn't because the larger the donation the higher up the page
>> the person would expect to be.
>>

> Listings move up the page in chronological order so that the closest
> events are at the top. Ordering the page based on the donation given
> would make it horrendous to use for the people that actually might want
> training.

There is a good medium - charge (donate) for front page spaces (and just
divide the donation amount by the time until the course and give the
highest ratio the best spots) and leave the "training event" page in
chronological order (or do a google and put the "sponsored" ones at the
top in a different color, etc).
>>> Limiting to the states in which companies are registered is a nonsense
>>> as well - what about a company in Japan? How do we check them? Or what
>>> about EnterpriseDB UK Ltd for example who cover the whole EMEA region -
>>> would they (== we in case you didn't realise I work for them) be
>>> restricted to listing courses in England because that's where we're
>>> registered?
>>>

>> Perhaps a requirement that a link to the actual registration page for
>> the class? Listing the details of where the class is etc...
>>

> I thought those were a given as well, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC 27560