Re: upgrade 8.0.3 -> 8.2.4

From: Dan Harris <fbsd(at)drivefaster(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade 8.0.3 -> 8.2.4
Date: 2007-05-10 14:57:25
Lists: pgsql-admin
Steve Holdoway wrote:
> Are there any gotchas? I've got the opportunity to move to another database server for this application and yould like to take the opportunity to upgrade at the same time.

Yes.  One of them that got me was that in 8.0.x, you could insert "invalid"
unicode byte sequences and it would warn you but accept them just fine.  In 8.2,
this is strictly enforced and you will not be able to restore your dump file
without running a utility to "fix" the dump file.

This change has prevented me from doing the upgrade as my dump file is nearly
100GB and the programming design of this utility requires that the whole file be
read into RAM before it begins processing it ( I've let it run for days and it
doesn't complete ).  I didn't think I had any Unicode in my database at all, but
I guess there are a few instances of "noise" in there that cause this..

Hopefully this doesn't block someone else from upgrading.

-Dan