Re: Name proliferation in functions with OUT parameters

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Name proliferation in functions with OUT parameters
Date: 2007-05-09 18:50:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave!

dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=6259&view=rev
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=6014&view=rev
>
> Thanks for the bug report though! I'll post a new snapshot soon and
> mail the list so you can be using more up to date code.

I've had a look at the code. Sure looks like a major rewrite even if one
can't properly read C++. Promising! :)
I think the reported issue is rather grave, as it can silently change
functionality and break things. Therefore a new snapshot is very welcome.

Btw: I am sure you are aware that OUT parameters or parameter names are
not part of the function signature. This entry in the changelog suggests
otherwise - or did I get it wrong?
http://pgadmin.org/development/changelog.php

> 2007-03-14 DP 1.8.0 Function/procedure signatures do not include OUT params.
> Fix this oversight, and cleanup much of the related code.

Currently pgAdmin 1.6.3 includes OUT parameters in many places where they aren't actually needed. Example:
ALTER FUNCTION myfunc(IN a integer, OUT b text) OWNER TO postgres;
This would suffice:
ALTER FUNCTION myfunc(integer) OWNER TO postgres;

Sorry if I am telling you things you already know. Just to make sure ..

Speaking of function management - I have mentioned this before on list
(as have others): one of my biggest wishes would be to merge the two
nodes "Procedures" and "Functions". The separation does not fit in with
Postgresql. It's causing me extra work and is a constant source of
confusion. Is this changelog entry the good news I think it is?

2007-03-09 DP 1.8.0 Treat all functions & procedures as 'Functions' in
PostgreSQL, and class only EnterpriseDB edbspl functions
returning void as 'Procedures'.

Regards
Erwin