Re: tutorial for starting development

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: sami jan <sami(dot)jan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tutorial for starting development
Date: 2007-05-08 08:36:06
Lists: pgadmin-support

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Great to know. I'll try it ASAP but I wonder how it can handle our
> custom widgets ?

It depends how they are used. In some cases it bleats about them, but
usually works well enough.

>> You still need to run embed-xrc after making any changes.
>>

> I had some problems yesterday with xrc files. I changed dlgTable.xrc,
> ran embed-xrc, make, make install... and nothing. I didn't see any of my
> changes. I finally found that I had to manually copy the dlgTable.xrc
> file in the installation directory to get it working. If i'm correct, we
> need XRC files on linux and they are embedded with the binary on the
> windows platform. I wonder why "make install" didn't install my
> customized copy of the dlgTable.xrc file.

The rules are the same on Windows, Mac and *nix. Debug builds use the
XRC files, release builds use xrcDialogs.cpp. We don't even install the
xrc files with release builds any more (I wonder if that might have
confused things on your machine?)

> FYI, I'm working on adding fill factor support.

Cool - need to be quick though - I hope to go to beta in a week or so!

> Oh and I found a SIGSEG on the options window. I need to investigate this.

:-s

Regards, Dave.