Re: Query RE using COPY

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query RE using COPY
Date: 2007-05-08 02:44:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> COPY mytbl (col1, col2, col3, col4, col6) FROM 'myfile.txt' WITH
> DELIMITER AS '^' QUOTE '\f' CSV HEADER;

I would rather not do it this way as I use the same load script at all
customer sites where the extracts and requirements may vary. I.e. one
customer may not use the location field mentioned above, but another might.

What I would prefer to do, if possible, is set that column in the
database to 'not required' so that if I get an extract that doesn't have
that column in the file, the copy doesn't care.

As it stands now I generally have to drop all the unneeded columns from
numerous tables, perform my load and then re-add them back again.

When we're talking about 40 or more tables in each database some tables
with several hundred columns... your suggestion would be a bit
cumbersome - particularly if it is only one or two columns in each table
that that the client doesn't need.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator