Re: Behavior of GENERATED columns per SQL2003

From: David Fuhry <dfuhry(at)cs(dot)kent(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Behavior of GENERATED columns per SQL2003
Date: 2007-05-07 22:29:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oracle 10g, MySQL 5, and SQL Server 2005 don't appear to support the
syntax. The SQL:2003 SIGMOD paper [1] indicates pretty clearly that
their intention is for the values of generated columns to be stored on disk:

"... commonly used expressions are evaluated once and their results
stored for future use"

"Generated columns can lead to higher performance... because of reduced
computation"

-Dave

[1] Eisenberg, A., Melton, J., Kulkarni, K., Michels, J., and Zemke, F.
2004. SQL:2003 has been published. SIGMOD Rec. 33, 1 (Mar. 2004), 119-126.
http://www.sigmod.org/record/issues/0403/E.JimAndrew-standard.pdf