Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need for "Getting Started" Tutorial
Date: 2007-05-02 17:49:00
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Chris Browne wrote:
> rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com (Federico) writes:
>> On 5/2/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I share the same feeling. One of the misconceptions with PostgreSQL is
>>> that it is a very hard-to-install product, not user-friendly,
>>> especially for potential new users such as students. That is totally
>>> wrong and it is something that we must solve as community.
>> It's All Relative as Einstein told us ;)
>> If you compare the PostgreSQL installation with oracle's you discover
>> that PostgreSQL is very simple ^_^
>
> The newcomers that are getting turned off are not comparing PostgreSQL
> with Oracle; they are *vastly* more likely to be comparing with
> MySQL(tm)[1] or SQLite.

Hmmm, that depends really. I rarely run into people wanting PostgreSQL
help that ran MySQL. I often run into people that want PostgreSQL help
that ran Oracle or MSSQL (oddly not much DB2).

I guess if you are talking about the standard php fan boy, maybe but
then again I have tried to install and start using MySQL on several
occasions and I found it completely opaque.

Of course I didn't bother reading the documentation either... Funny that.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/