Re: Service not starting: Error 1053

From: Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Service not starting: Error 1053
Date: 2009-02-25 12:41:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have attached the sysinfo, please don't abuse it in any way possible, I
trust you guys with that.

As far as I can remember, no OEM versions of anti-virus were installed.
Like I said before, did have these installed (removed them already):
Norton Anti-Virus
Kaspersky Anti-Hacker
(temporarily installed Kaspersky now, but will remove before trying to
install postgresql again when I get a good tip that might help)
Still have installed:
Registry Mechanic ( http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic )
Tune-Up Utilities ( http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities )

Kind regards, Frank.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Frank Featherlight <dirtydude(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> >> while reading your thread two things come to mind, I have installed:
> >> Registry Mechanic ( http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic )
> >> Tune-Up Utilities ( http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities )
> >> Any of these two might cause the problem aswell in your opinion?
> >
> > Damifino, I'm not a Windows person. But I'd suggest methodically
> > removing each and every bit of non-default software you've got,
> > to see if you can find one that causes the failure. We know that
> > the failure does not occur on stock Windows or with most popular
> > add-ons, so unusual add-ons deserve a close look.
>
> I'm not a Tom Lane, but I do have a Windows background, and my advice
> would be to steer clear of such tools as a general rule. Too many of
> them do nothing useful, and there have been some such tools that are
> actually trojans of some kind or other. I make no comments on the
> specific ones you've mentioned though.
>
> Your description of the system sounds like it's an OEM installation of
> Windows. Does it have any OEM versions of
> Norton/Symantec/McAffee/Panda/nod32 anti virus, anti spyware or
> firewall packages installed (or have there ever been?).
>
> It would also be potentially useful to see full details of your
> system. Click Start -> Run and then type msinfo32 and then click OK.
> In the app that runs, select File -> Export to save the system details
> to a text file.
>
> You should check the file to make sure there's nothing in there you
> don't want to be public, and the zip it up and mail it to the list (CC
> me incase the file is still too big for the list). I think you'll also
> need to rename it to report.zi_ or similar, as I think the lists will
> reject .zip files.
>

> --
> Dave Page

Attachment Content-Type Size
sysinfo.zi_ application/x-zip-compressed 46.1 KB