Re: Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Shohab Abdullah <Shohab(dot)Abdullah(at)lntinfotech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Date: 2007-04-26 11:53:32
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-performance
Please try to keep postings to one mailing list - I've replied to the
performance list here.

Shohab Abdullah wrote:
> Dear,
> We are facing performance tuning problem while using PostgreSQL Database
> over the network on a linux OS.
> Our Database consists of more than 500 tables with an average of 10K
> records per table with an average of 20 users accessing the database
> simultaneously over the network. Each table has indexes and we are
> querying the database using Hibernate.
> The biggest problem is while insertion, updating and fetching of records,
> ie the database performance is very slow. It take a long time to respond
> in the above scenario.
> Please provide me with the tuning of the database. I am attaching my
> postgresql.conf file for the reference of our current configuration

You haven't provided any details on what version of PG you are using,
what hardware you are using, whether there is a specific bottleneck
(disk, memory, cpu) or certain queries.

Without that, no-one can suggest useful settings. You might find this
document a good place to start: http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/

HTH
--
   Richard Huxton