Re: What`s wrong with JFS configuration?

From: Cosimo Streppone <cosimo(at)streppone(dot)it>
To: Postgresql Performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What`s wrong with JFS configuration?
Date: 2007-04-26 08:45:17
Lists: pgsql-performance
Jim Nasby wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Paweł Gruszczyński wrote:
>> where u6 stores Fedora Core 6 operating system, and u0 stores 3
>> partitions with ext2, ext3 and jfs filesystem.
>
> Keep in mind that drives have a faster data transfer rate at the
> outer-edge than they do at the inner edge [...]

I've been wondering from time to time if partitions position
can be a (probably modest, of course) performance gain factor.

If I create a partition at the beginning or end of the disk,
is this going to have a determined platter physical position?

I remember having heard that every manufacturer has its own
allocation logic.

Has anyone got some information, just for curiosity?

--
Cosimo