Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code

From: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Ned Lilly <ned(at)nedscape(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Google Releases Improved MySQL Code
Date: 2007-04-25 21:07:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Ned Lilly wrote:
> On 4/25/2007 4:46 PM Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

>> I talked to Mark from Google here at MySQL UC and he told me that
>> Google has no issues giving MySQL the right to commercial proprietary
>> licensing the code. However of course Google's lawyers need to review
>> the MySQL CLA before these changes can make their way into the MySQL
>> standard distribution. Of course MySQL AB also has final say on if
>> they actually want to integrate the code or not.
>
> Yes, and historically, that hasn't been MySQL AB's strong suit. Maybe
> that's changing, though.

It has ..because in the past there wasnt even a clear procedure for code
contributions. Now they have a procedure in place (CLA etc.). Will be
interesting how it plays out. While I was talking to Mark, Jay Pipes
came to the discussion by coincidence and he at least expressed that
MySQL AB is interested in this contributions (albeit he is not someone
that can do technical decisions).

regards,
Lukas