Re: Grantor name gets lost when grantor role dropped

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, "alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com >> Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Grantor name gets lost when grantor role dropped
Date: 2007-04-25 01:43:38
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Russell Smith wrote:

>>> So does this make a todo item?
>>>
>>> But this still leaves the concerns about you can currently get the
>>> database into an invalid state that can't be dumped and restored.
>>>

>> Correct, which makes it a bug (==> needs fixed) rather than a todo item.
>>
>> We now have a problem because there may already be databases that are
>> undumpable.  We might need to provide a workaround for people with such
>> a database.

[snip]

As I am not a frequent reporter of bugs, what happens now?  It's been a
week since I wrote my last message and I'm unsure of whether anything
has, or is going to happen about this bug report.  Alvaro has said it's
a "bug", so it needs fixing.  But that has not translated into somebody
saying they will look at it.  I've also had no comments on the possible
patch I attached in my last email.

I understand people are busy, but as a follower of pg development, from
this experience I can see who some new people get the feeling of not
being looked after.  Even if something is happening, there is little
flow of information.

I would greatly appreciate an update, even though this is not a server
crash, it does allow creation of dumps that cannot be restored.  They
can be alter to be restored, but I didn't think that was the point.

Regards

Russell Smith