Re: View is not using a table index

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: View is not using a table index
Date: 2007-04-24 21:13:59
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Dan Shea <dan(dot)shea(at)ec(dot)gc(dot)ca> writes:
>
>> You make it sound so easy.  Our database size is at 308 GB.
>>

> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
> Read the release notes, and consider what you will say if one of the
> several data-loss-causing bugs that were fixed long ago eats your DB:

Was it Feb 2002?  The Slammer effectively shut down the entire Internet,
due to a severe bug in Microsucks SQL Server...  A fix for that buffer
overflow bug had been available since August 2001;  yet 90% of all SQL
servers on the planet were unpatched.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the lesson about the importance of
being a conscious, competent administrator takes precedence over the
lesson of how unbelievably incompetent and irresponsible and etc. etc.
Microsoft is to have such a braindead bug in such a high-profile and
high-price product.

Tom said it really nicely --- do stop and think about it;  the day arrives
when you *lost* all those 308 GB of valuable data;  and it was only in
your hands to have prevented it!  Would you want to see the light of
*that* day?

Carlos