Re: TODO : Multiple inserts in a single statement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nick Barr <nicky(at)chuckie(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO : Multiple inserts in a single statement
Date: 2004-02-13 21:43:42
Lists: pgsql-patches
> Nick Barr wrote:
>> Would anyone have any objections if I started to look at the following
>> TODO item?
>>
>> * Allow INSERT INTO tab (col1, ..) VALUES (val1, ..), (val2, ..)

> Sounds good.  Please read the developers FAQ for the suggested process.

Also please read the SQL spec.  I recall having looked at this once
with the idea that it should be an easy Sunday-afternoon hack, and
discovering that making it do what the spec envisions was harder than
I thought.  I forget now just what the issues were, but I remember
there's more there than meets the eye.  (Type coercion might have been
part of it ... don't recall for sure ...)