Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-19 11:31:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I understand the argument about metadata and all, and largely agree with
> it. But on the other hand I think a version identifier is a critical
> piece of information; it's just as critical as the file name when it
> comes to identifying the information contained in the file.

If you really want the files in your releases to carry a version
identifier, you should let your release process handle that. But often
enough, people can't even tell the exact PostgreSQL version they are
running. How do you expect them to be able to tell you what version a
single file has?

For the developers: they have all the history the VCS offers them. There
are tags to associate a release with a revision in your repository. And
because a decent VCS can handle all the diff'ing, patching and merging
you normally need, you shouldn't ever have to process files outside of
your repository.

So what exactly is the purpose of a version identifier within the file's
contents? For whom could such a thing be good for?

Regards

Markus