Re: Question

From: Carlo Florendo <subscribermail(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2007-04-19 05:55:02
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
María José Peiró Simó wrote:
> We are students of the Universidad Politécnica de Valencia and we have had
> problems with the installation of Postgre 8.2.3
>
> First of all, sorry about our english, but I suposse we can understand.
>
> We installed Postgre 8.2.3 for Windows from www.postgresql.org and it ran well.
> The problem began when we uninstalled that, and installed Postgis. All the
                              ^^^^^^^^^

You are *not* supposed to uninstall PostgreSQL.  The PostGIS website says
that, to install PostGIS, you have to:

Un-tar the PostGIS tar-ball in the 'contrib' directory of your PostgreSQL
source tree. You must have the PL/pgSQL prodedural language installed
before installing PostGIS.

tar xvfz postgis-1.1.0.tar.gz
cd postgis-1.1.0
./configure
make
make install
createlang plpgsql yourtestdatabase
psql -d yourtestdatabase -f lwpostgis.sql
psql -d yourtestdatabase -f spatial_ref_sys.sql

You may want to look at the PostGIS site for documentation:
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City