Re: Buildfarm member Narwhal: Python 2.5/8.1

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Buildfarm member Narwhal: Python 2.5/8.1
Date: 2007-04-17 13:56:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> The question in my mind is this: how much do we back-patch to cover new
> and incompatible releases of software we depend on? Python 2.5 was
> released on 19 Sept 2006, long after Postgres 8.1. I guess you could
> make a case to say that we should back-patch to the release immediately
> before the library change.

I guess that depends on the invasiveness - in this case it's a couple of
simple updates to the regression tests so I think it's probably worth doing.

> (BTW, it is possible to include python only in certain branches in your
> buildfarm client - examples are in the config file).

Yeah, I already use that functionality to handle the features that we've
added over past releases to the windows port (ldap, thread safety etc).
Handy :-)

/D