Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-17 10:25:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Browne wrote:
> This strikes me as being a really super thing, having both Subversion
> and Git repositories publicly available that are tracking the
> PostgreSQL sources.
>
> Stepping back to the SCM discussion, people were interested in finding
> out what merits there were in having these sorts of SCMs, and in
> finding out what glitches people might discover (e.g. - like the files
> where the CVS repository is a bit schizophrenic as to whether they are
> still there or not...). Having these repositories should allow some
> of this experimentation to take place now.

Yep. It'd be nice to have official GIT and SVN etc. mirrors of the main
CVS repository. There's no pressing reason for the PostgreSQL project to
switch from CVS, but we could provide alternatives to developers. As
long as you can create a diff to send to pgsql-patches, it doesn't
matter which version control system you use. I'm interested in trying
GIT or Monotone myself, presumably they would be good for managing
unapplied, work-in-progress patches.

--
Heikki Linnakangas