Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-17 03:31:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Cool - I'm new to git, so I really appreciate any help that I can get.

Great - I am a SoC mentor for 2 other projects (git and moodle) so I've
got some time set aside for SoC stuff. You might as well take advantage
of it :-)

>> For the kind of work you'll be doing (writing patches that you'll want
>> to be rebasing onto the latest HEAD for merging later) git is probably
>> the best tool. That's what I use it for... tracking my experimental /
>> custom branches of projects that use CVS or SVN :-)
>
> Thats how I figured I'd work - though I don't yet understand what
> the advantage of "rebase" is over "merge".

Probably during your development cycle you'll want to merge the changes
from cvshead into your dev branch - that's what you seem to be doing.
Great. Later when you are getting things ready for actual merging into
CVS you'll want to prepare a series of patches that apply to the top of
cvshead. That's where the rebase tools become useful.

> Currently, I've setup a git repo that pulls in the changes from the SVN
> repo, and pushed them to my main soc git repo. On that main repo I have
> two branches, master and pgsql-head, and I call "cg-merge pgsql-head"
> if I want to merge with CVS HEAD.

You are doing the right thing. If possible, I'd suggest that you use git
instead of cogito. Recent git is as user-friendly as cogito. The main
difference is that you'll need to learn a bit about the index, and
that'll be useful.

>> Initially, I'll post it on http://git.catalyst.net.nz/ and I can run a
>> daily import for you - once that's in place you can probably get a repo
>> with your work on http://repo.or.cz/
>
> Having a git mirror of the pgsql CVS would be great.
> BTW, I've just check out repo.or.cz, and noticed that there is already a
> git mirror of the pgsql CVS: http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git

Yes, I've seen it, but I don't know the guy. I can ensure you have a
CVS->GIT gateway updated daily or twice daily.

cheers,

martin
Martin @ Catalyst .Net .NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
OFFICE: +64(4)916-7224 UK: 0845 868 5733 ext 7224 MOB: +64(21)364-017
Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler - Einstein