server variables ?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: server variables ?
Date: 2007-04-12 03:33:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

are there something like variables on the server-side that can be set by
the client?

e.g. I'd like to store the user-id who created or updated a record.
I've allready got a trigger that sets a timestamp whenever a record is
updated. It was cute if I could let this triggers store the user-id, too.

I'd like to open a connection when the client application starts.
The client should set a variable userid within this connection and
every trigger would know who uses this connection right now.

BTW ... How would I use this variable as a DEFAULT value when it should
be set just at the creation time of the record?
something like a collumn:
created_by_fk integer not null default userid,

How could I use such a variables value in views?