Re: RHEL4 RPM packages

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RHEL4 RPM packages
Date: 2007-04-11 08:35:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 01:10 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>

>> well, it makes it VERY hard to install 8.2.3 on a RHEL4/CentOS4 system
>> that also has, say, RH's build of Apache + PHP + PG access, as thats
>> linked to the -3 libraries
>>

> Uh? So installing only compat-3 and PostgreSQL 8.2.3 doesn't work?

I'll have to try that again on a clean box.

I think what -I- ran into was that there was no compat-3 in the public
repositories, just compat-4... this was about a month ago. devrim
indicated he was going to upload compat-3, and showed me where to find
it, but I'd already installed compat-4, so -3 refused to install.

on the grounds that there are undoutablly software out there which WAS
linked with libpq.so.4, it seems to me there should just be one
compat-postgresql-libs RPM which provides both 3 and 4 and coexists with
current 8.2.3 rpms.