Re: WHERE clause with 40+ conditions

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal(at)usa(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHERE clause with 40+ conditions
Date: 2012-05-07 15:06:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2012-05-07 10:22, DrYSG wrote:
> My issue is I am also not a DB guy, but a software guy.
>
> So while I appreciate the idea of a 40 bit field, that I would use as
> a mask
> to test against the query (an AND would do very nicely). I wonder if
> this
> would work well in a DB with 20M+ records in the table.
>
> The other fields (type, producer, etc.) are indexed as a B-Tree, but
> if one
> indexed this field, it is not clear to me if the DB planner would do
> an
> effective search. (that is what I do not know).

Given that Postgresql has a bitstring data type especially for this
type of use, I'd think it'd probably do ok... (Though I haven't run any
tests.)

Daniel T. Staal

This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
local copyright law.