Re: Debugger integration

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-04-04 15:16:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> BTW, I've been working on an i386 binary of pgadmin3 that is statically
>> linked.
>> If've managed to compile static version of libxml, libxslt, wxwidgets and
>> libpq, but configure fails for pgadmin3 because it doesn't know that it has
>> to pass "-lssl" when linking against that static libpq. AFAIK, libtool
>> ususally
>> takes care of that, and provides dependency information for static libs.
>>
>> Neither wxwidgest nor postgres seem to create *.la files for my static
>> libs -
>> Does anyone know if they should - or how to deal with static linking
>> without
>> libtool?
>
> I'm missing something I guess - whilst it only links statically with wx
> and pg, we already have --enable-static which works fine on intel and
> ppc macs. That's the option I now force on when building an appbundle.

acinclude.m4 seems to special-case static linking on osx, and
adds -lssl if it thinks that is needed. (I think it was me
who added that code, but I seem to have forgotten about it.. ;-) ).

I'm currently thinking that unconditionally adding the output
of pg_config --libs to LIBS if linking statically might
be a better approach - thoughts?

greetings, Florian Pflug