postgresql.conf file for PostgreSQL 8.2.3

From: Eugene Ogurtsov <eogurtsov(at)swsoft(dot)com>
To: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgresql.conf file for PostgreSQL 8.2.3
Date: 2007-04-04 06:07:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Please help me to set up optimal values in the postgresql.conf file for
PostgreSQL 8.2.3

Can you please give us an advice, which of your DBs and which
configuration should we take for a project that has the following
parameters:

1. DB size: 25-30Gb
2. number of tables: 100 - 150
3. maximum number of records for one table: 50 - 100 millions
4. avarage number of records for one table: 3 - 5 millions
5. DB's querying frequency: 150-500 per minute
6. SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE correlation is equal
7. DELETE operations are performed rarely

Server Hardware:

* 2x Xeon 2.8Ghz
* 6GB RAM (2 GB for OS and DB, 4GB for Application)
* RAID-10 w/ 6x72GB 15.000rpm HDDs

--
Thanks,

Eugene Ogurtsov