Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SET NULL / SET NOT NULL
Date: 2002-02-21 03:47:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The SQL spec will not help us here, since it doesn't define such a
capability AFAICT. We might do worse than to look at Or*cle's
implementation, which appears to involve a MODIFY keyword.

I find this in the Or*cle 8i documentation examples:

The following statement alters the EMP table and defines and
enables a NOT NULL constraint on the SAL column:

ALTER TABLE emp
MODIFY (sal NUMBER CONSTRAINT nn_sal NOT NULL);

The docs are opaque enough that I can't actually figure out a BNF
definition for ALTER TABLE MODIFY, and I don't have a working
installation to experiment against. Can any Or*cle users here
enlighten us?