Re: Updating old code for new engine

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Updating old code for new engine
Date: 2007-04-01 20:25:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> writes:
> Seems like you need to be prepared to do a bit of work on PHPRecipeBook.
> These things don't sound real hard to fix if you know a little SQL
> ... the real question is can you get upstream to take back the patches?
> It's no fun fixing bugs if you just have to fix 'em again in the next
> release.

It has been over a year since this release, and it doesn't look like
there is any current activity. The last news item was pointing to a new
package the maintainer was working on, so I don't know if there will be
any more releases. If I proceed, I will post what I find on the forum at
Source Forge just in case.

>> I just want something
>> useful to organize a few thousand family recipes before they are lost.
>> My mother just turned 82 and we have most of hers stored on paper. But
>> we have already lost a couple of her and dad's sisters with no records
>> of theirs. I haven't even begun to talk with my wife's family, and one
>> daughter in law whose grandmother and aunts used to operate a catering
>> kitchen.
>
> Sounds a bit familiar ... my wife spent a lot of time a few years ago
> trying to organize recipes from her father's and grandfather's bakery
> business. Strangely, she had no interest in putting 'em into a
> database.

Probably just a difference in perspective. I see the database as a means
to enforce consistent content and layout. Add to that the fact that I
sometimes cannot read my own handwriting, and it begins to make some
sense. I can also use common export programs to create copies of the
collection suitable for burning to CD that I can send to any number of
tool for this project as long as I don't need to design the schema from
scratch. She may not see it the same way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am adding SQL to the list of topics I need
to study further. So far I know just enough to examine a few tables
using the Sybase ISQL tools with ASA. Probably not enough to get into
trouble yet, but getting there.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP