Re: Current enums patch

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Subject: Re: Current enums patch
Date: 2007-03-31 21:55:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

> [ sounds of reviewing... ]

(What are those? It's a bit hard to imagine you singing "doo di doo doo"
a la Homer while reviewing ....)

> Is there a specific reason for
> pg_enum.enumname to be type name and not type text? ISTM that type name
> wastes space (because most labels will probably be a lot shorter than 63
> bytes) and at the same time imposes an implementation restriction that
> we don't need to have. It would make sense if the enum labels were
> treated syntactically as SQL identifiers, but they're treated as
> strings. And there's no particular win to be had by having a
> fixed-length struct, since there's no more fields anyway.

IIRC at one stage Tom wanted to try to make these identifiers, but that
was quickly abandoned. This might be a hangover from that. If someone
wants to use an insanely long enum label I guess that's their lookout.

cheers

andrew