Re: Feature thought: idle in transaction timeout

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature thought: idle in transaction timeout
Date: 2007-03-31 08:25:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I ran into an interesting problem with a customer today. They are
> running Jabber XCP (not the one we use). Unfortunately, the product
> has a bug that causes it to leave connections persistent in a
> transaction state. This is what it does:
>
> BEGIN; SELECT 1;
>
> Basically it is verifying that the connection is live. However, it
> never calls commit. So what happens? We can't vacuum ;).
>
> Anyway, my thought is, we know when a transaction is idle, why not
> have an idle timeout where we will explicitly close the connection or
> rollback or something? User configurable of course.
I agree with this, it reduces the long running transaction problem a
little where the user forgot to commit/rollback their session. I may be
worth having a transaction_timeout as well, and setting it to link a few
hours by default. That way you can't have really long running
transactions unless you specifically set that.